Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 20:11:55 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makefile.inc1 change

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001291516580.8352-100000@alphplex.bde.org> Bruce Evans writes:
> : > So I should back this out?  I didn't do a 3.3 buildworld.
> :
> : Of course.
>
> OK.  I've done the build on 3.3 and it works.
>
> It does break cross compilation.  There is a tool (fini) that gets
> built on the host with the host libraries and run on the host to
> generate some files and this during the last phase of the build.

Right.

> Maybe the right thing to do for make depend is to somehow arrange for
> all things needed to build depend get built with the host compiler and
> if host != target they get deleted before the actual build with the
> tools.  Of course, hours before the code freeze is an inauspicious
> time to make such sweeping declaration.  This automates much of the
> tools problem...

David committed Marcel's workaround for the problem with make depend in
f771 2 weeks ago.  I don't know why you still have problems.

Deleting things is another workaround.  The correct fix is to build
tools in separate directories and not build these directories for
cross-building.

> I will back it out until after 4.0 so this change can be analized in
> more detail.

Thanks.

Bruce