Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:01:25 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        kde-devel@kde.org, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   KDE 1.91 problems

Hi kde-devel and -ports,

I know it's probably too late to be reporting bugs in kde 1.91, but I'm
going to do this anyway (if someone tells me to try a CVS build, that is
what I will do).

I have been trying to update the FreeBSD ports/packages to use KDE 1.91
for 2 weeks now.  However, I keep running into many roadblocks.

For example, when I run the make for kdelibs, the configure script
states that it will build shared libs.  However, it fails to build
shlibs for kio_*, arts[backend,dsp], kcm_arts, etc. etc.  This in turn
affects kdebase, kdegames, kdenetwork, and others.

Perhaps there is something obvious that I am missing.

I have posted the updated ports on my webspace:

        http://people.FreeBSD.org/~will/kde2/

There are some rather unusual build errors in kdenetwork in particular.
There seem to be a number of constants used there that don't exist in
FreeBSD.  I patched several before giving up on trying to build it.  The
patches are included in the port above.  Also, if you're going to try to
use the ports, be warned that not all of their PLISTs were updated.. and
if you succeed in building the appropriate shlibs mentioned above,
you'll get PLIST errors for sure.

On another subject,

The configure scripts need to be a little more configurable.  For
example, we should be able to override the default value of LIBQT in the
environment, i.e.: LIBQT="-lqt2" ./configure --[args..], or allow a
configure argument for such a thing.  Same with other libs, like -ljpeg.
It would also be nice to allow adding specific places to look for these
libraries, i.e. --with-jpeg-prefix.  Of course, --with-extra-libs does
this job just fine..

I'd be happy to write the necessary autoconf magic too, or any necessary
code if it is determined there's a better way to do this.

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>