Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:26:55 -0400
From:      Sergei Shayevich <serega@bigfoot.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmkind.lnk.telstra.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Questions

Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Brendan Kosowski wrote:
>
> > 2. How can I change the MESSAGE BANNER which appears just before the
> > initial login prompt. I have tried making an /etc/issue file but that
> > did not work ( I have used /etc/issue on other Unix systems successfully
> > ).
>
> It's /etc/motd on FreeBSD machines.

Doug, I belive he referred to the following
---------------------------
Connected to CENSORED

                            -+- CENSORED -+-
        First Universal Cybernetic-Kinetic-Ultramicro-Programmer
                                Red Hat Linux 5.0

login:

This screen before the "login:" prompt can be modified by editing /etc/issue on
the Linux systems. FreeBSD doesn't have that feature, or at least I am not
aware of it. It can however be created by modifying telnetd. Friend of mine
made it work, and it does work quite nicely on my machine as well as his.

Sergei