Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:07:00 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/124604: Wireless Mouse doesn't work

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:24:29 +0700
"Rashid N. Achilov" <achilov-rn@askd.ru> wrote:

> Sorry, why when FreeBSD lack support of some hardware, it inevitably
> marks as "MS only"? USB is our future. It will be, independent of our

Broken hardware (be it made by MS or somebody else) is broken if it
does not follow the standards (usb in this case).
FWIW, FreeBSD have support for most standards-compliant usb mice and
keyboards, and combinations.
Broken hardware needs wokarounds (in any operating system). Workarounds
needs to be written and tested.

> I'd like to use FreeBSD to day-by-day work. But why I must use
> uncomfortable corded mouse or buy one additional USB mouse simply
> because proud FreeBSD developers cannot support combined USB
> receivers?

It has nothing to do with proudness. Do a reality check - there are
only so many developers working on FreeBSD. And they do their best to
improve FreeBSD and among that, the range of hardware that is supported.
Tio get more hardware supported, FreeBSD needs more developers.

> USB support in FreeBSD works terrible - I fear to insert any flash

It is not perfect if thats what you mean. Most people who like to stay
with FreeBSD find it possible to adjust their work methods to cope with
the situation when dealing with usb devices.

> I can only repeat one sentence, which I said sometime - "Snobbing and
> contempting of users' requests can destroy any succesful project".

Snobbing? Hmm, let me see...
FreeBSD is a free project, you are free to use it, you don't have to
pay money to use it, and you are even free to improve it.
Most people who work on it are doing it as volunteers.

And yet you are complaining that somebody else are doing free work for
you to fix _your_ problem?
That seems a bit unfair to me.

Well, maybe its just me, and everybody else _does_ work for free for
complete strangers these days.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,