Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:05:24 +0200
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: concerns about install freebsd

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 7:47 AM David Christensen wrote:
> On 9/28/22 20:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> On 28. Sep 2022, at 20:08, jian he <jian.universality@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>   Can I install linux and freebsd in the same machine (I think it's intel x86 architecture)?
> > yes, you can install both on the same machine.
> Have you set up dual boot with Linux and FreeBSD on an x86-64/amd64
> system?  If so, please describe.

In case of MBR/BIOS boot (man boot, man fdisk) you can use boot0
manager (man boot0cfg). You can also use Linux/Win GRUB to have fancy
GUI selection menu (installed on a separate partition).

In case of UEFI (man uefi, man gpart) it is a bit different and still
evolving. Each OS has dedicated EFI Boot partition that contains the
bootstrapping loader, so directly from the Mainboard Setup program you
can select UEFI boot and the default partition to boot. I use FreeBSD
by default so I need no fancy menu, to boot the another OS I press F8
at boot and select different OS. This is the most generic way. EFI
boot partitions may be located on a single drive or different drives,
Motherboard should detect all of them for selection. It is also
important that usually you need to disable Secure Boot in order to use
unsigned bootloaders or add bootloader sign keys to the Motherboard
(via Setup program) in order to boot custom signed bootloader in a
secure way. Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/) can also manage boot
keys.

In case of UEFI boot you can also use fancy GUI menu with:
1. Clover: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/
2. reFInd: https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/
3. Ventoy: https://www.ventoy.net/en/

Have fun :-)