Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2024 09:52:23 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: newaliases changed?

On 2/6/24 07:28, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Make sure there's no whitespace after the backslashes, although I
> suspect that would give you a different error.

No whitespace that I could find after the backslashes.

The following line works:

family: foo@centurylink.net, bar@centurylink.net

but inserting "\<lf> " before "bar" fails:

family: foo@centurylink.net, \
  bar@centurylink.net
# newaliases
/etc/mail/aliases: line 85: Non-continuation line starts with space
/etc/mail/aliases: 726 aliases, longest 42 bytes, 19540 bytes total

> Check whether you are using the correct newaliases program. Some mail
> software (e.g., postfix) will install their own. ["which -a newaliases"]

# which sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail
# ls -l /usr/bin/newaliases
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  19 Feb 11  2019 /usr/bin/newaliases -> ../sbin/mailwrapper
# file /usr/sbin/mailwrapper
/usr/sbin/mailwrapper: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 13.2, FreeBSD-style, stripped

Gary