Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:45:47 +1000
From:      "Anthony Carmody" <anthony@carmoda.com>
To:        <freebsd-i386@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIC card not showing up during 5.1 install

i am building a new server for a client and my hardware vendor changed my usual hardware profile to use an 800fsb ASUS
Mainboard, it runs the Intel 865G chipset. I have tried installing 5.1 but it cannot see to onboard Ethernet and seems
to get upset running the mouse when the XF86 server starts up for some reason.

i have 2 bootable installer discs for 5.1 made from ISO images some months ago.

I had a look at the current HARDWARE.TXT in the first disc and the network card is supported so it says"

"Intel 82562-based Fast Ethernet NICs"

when i get the prompt during installation to configure network connections i only get a sellection of four serial
connections PPP & SLIP etc. I remember being given a choice of one NIC as well....

so, does this mean it might be there somewhere? when i run a 'netstat -i' i cant see anything that looks like a NIC.
Just serial ports etc. I assume this is only running interfaces, correct? what should i be looking for?