Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 10:14:54 -0700
From:      "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation glitches

I recently purchased 2.2.7 and tried installing from both the floppy and
CD-Rom.
I have a dedicated machine.  P90 on a three year old ASUS board with a more
recent BIOS (that's made for the board).  2 Gig Fujitsu IDE HD.  32MB EDO
RAM.
ATI Mach64 graphics card. 3Com 3C509B TPO network card (PnP mode disabled).
SB16 Vibra PnP sound card.  32X ATAPI CD-Rom (fairly generic).  3 button
Logitech
mouse (serial).

Here are the problems I went up against (I am wondering what might cause
them
and how to fix them).  When booting (either from floppy or CD-Rom) I get a
first
screen telling me I can either boot without changing the kernel, modify the
kernel
from a GUI, or modify it command-line.  I chose the second option and
removed
anything I knew I didn't have, and whatever caused conflicts (which I also
didn't
have).  Then I tell it to save changes and boot from the new config.  It
brings an
almost blank screen (except for a rectangular cursor on the top left) and
hangs
there.  If I chose not to modify the kernel, it boots without a problem
(except a
few warnings of non existant hardware).  This happens no matter if I boot
from
floppy (not write protected of course) or CD-Rom.

Second:  when telling the partitionning software to check for bad blocks, it

completely locks up straight off the bat when it starts checking.  My guess
is
that this is a problem somewhere in my hardware, since this option wouldn't
exist if it did that to every computer.  Any ideas on what might cause this?
This is, after all, a dedicated machine which will never have any other OS.

I'm sure I had one last problem, but it doesn't come to mind right now.  And
for some reason, I'm sure that any solution to these two problems would
either
also solve most other problems, or at least point me in the right direction
solving it myself.

Thanks for your help!

Manu