Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:07:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        efinley@castlenet.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world times

> I am getting a make world time of about 2.5 hours with the complete
> 2.2-stable source tree.  This is on a PII 233 64M SCSI system.  Is
> this normal? Is there any way to speed it up?

I'm getting almost exactly 2 hours for "make buildworld" on a PPro-200/
512k with the Bovine rc564 client running also too. Also with 64M.

For the filesystem(s) containing /usr/src and /usr/obj try:

	mount -u -o async /usr

My /usr/src is on /usr and /usr/obj is elsewhere. Mounting both async
trims about 15 minutes off buildworld and about 15 minutes off
installworld. Total CPU time as reported by time(1) is essentially the
same for either sync or async.