Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 08:57:17 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   starter attempt at lucent/wicontrol crib sheet

Dear Lucent/prism (and other ... ) wicontrol debating society
colleagues :-> ...

I have attempted to capture the state of my knowledge below
on the 3 known modes for Lucent/prism2 cards and wicontrol
commands therein.

Additions/deletions/rants?

Maybe if we could get this right, we could put it in the man page?

One serious question though:  don't you need to specify the
	channel with IBSS mode?

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu

-----------------------------slice here ---------------------------
Using lucent/prism2 cards:

1. managed mode

	wicontrol -p 1
	wicontrol -n "someessid"

notes:

1.1. wicontrol -n ""

will reassociate with ANY access point.

1.2  channel is NOT given with managed mode.
It is determined by various scanning techniques in
the card firmware.

2. IBSS ad hoc mode

master:
	wicontrol -p 1
	wicontrol -n "someessid"
	wicontrol -f <somechannel>
	wicontrol -c 1

slaves:
	wicontrol -p 1
	wicontrol -f <somechannel>
	wicontrol -n "someessid"

notes:

2.1. windows systems have defaulted to channel 10
recently, and to channel 3 with older versions of firmware.

2.2. -c 1 may be given by others, and is non-harmful.

3. Lucent ad hoc demo mode

	wicontrol -p 3
	wicontrol -f <somechannel>

notes:
3.1 known to work with at least one prism2 card (D-Link 650).

3.2 essid is not used, as there are no control packets
	other than data-side ACK.