Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:04:40 +0300
From:      Antti-Pekka Liedes <apl@hutcs.cs.hut.fi>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHA-3940U on Tomcat IIID, asking for trouble?

On Wed, Jul 23, 1997 at 07:36:17PM -0400, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> > Are there any experiences of how well AHA-3940U (bridged PCI card) works
> > on Tomcat IIID running freebsd-smp?  I read the FBSD-SMP pages concerning
> > bridged cards and it doesn't look promising.
>
> It will work, but it will require kernel patches.  I can't speak for the
> 4.0 BIOS, but earlier BIOSes did not build the MP table to include
> cards with PCI-PCI bridges on them.  If you run the MPtable program and
> it lists more than one PCI bus you are probably fine though.

Replying my own questions myself, this is what I found from www.tyan.com:

"S56AW401.ZIP
  Ver 4.01 adds support for Intel MMX, AMD K5, and Cyrix CPUs; 512 MB
memory; USB; LS120 bootable,
  APM1.2; SCO Unix SMP with SCSI; DMI & Year2000 ready.  For MBs shipped
with 3.xx / 4.xx BIOSs ONLY -
  Fixes 3IDE Spindown and second channel support for Adaptec 3940UW."

I'll give it a try when I get the second multiprocessing capapble CPU.

--
Antti-Pekka Liedes  *        apl@IRC            *  In two hells there's
JMT 6 B 406         *       apl@iki.fi          *  one hell too many