Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:28:42 -0400
From:      Ryan Moeller <freqlabs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beadm can't create snapshot

On 8/29/22 10:14 AM, Thomas Laus wrote:
> On 8/17/22 10:35, Thomas Laus wrote:
>> I attempted to create a ZFS snapshot after upgrading this morning and
>> received this error
>>
> After all of the discussion to compare and contrast beadm vs. bectl my
> read only bit is still set as of this morning 29-AUG-2022.
>
> # beadm create n257658
> cannot create 'zroot/ROOT/n257658': 'snapshots_changed' is readonly
> #
>
> I thought that this 'feature' was fixed a while ago.
>
> Tom

It's fixed but it's not going to fix datasets that have been snapshotted
with the bug. The bug was that the property was stored in a ZAP that ZFS
assumes contains only local properties. The fix is to store the property
in a different ZAP, but if you already have it in the wrong ZAP it
overrides the one stored in the correct place. I'm going to do some
testing today and throw together a temporary patch that will remove it.

-Ryan