Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:31:24 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-stable, sendmail 8.9.2, and exmh-2.0.2

For the past several years I've used exmh-2.0.2, usually offline. It
reads my mail out of the local mail spool /var/mail/dkelly, pushes it
thru slocal, and into ~/Mail/ according to my .maildelivery rules.

Was running 3.0-current from November 8 until this weekend when I
refreshed things with a "make world" of the latest RELENG_3. This
brought in Sendmail 8.9.2, and my problem.

Now, unless I am dialed into the net and have a connection with my
ISP's nameserver, exmh can not send mail to my own local Sendmail. The
error is #451. Had that problem before and simply chopped those lines
out of /etc/sendmail.cf and "cured" the problem. That doesn't work now.

Commenting out the rule which generates 451 messages results in a "553
Domain name required". And so on until I ran out of rules to comment
out.

Have manually added a DS to my sendmail.cf:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.hiwaay.net

/usr/bin/mail works fine, online and off.

Am thinking if named were running then sendmail and/or mh can find what
they are missing and things would work again. For full time connections
simply running /etc/namedb/make-localhost and enabling named in rc.conf
and listing 127.0.0.1 as a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf is all it
takes. When I attempt that on my dialup system, pppd spends about
90 seconds (a nameserver lookup timeout?) before dialing.

One other thing, with dynamic IP addresses I've always been a little at
loss as to what FQDN to assign my system. HiWAAY.net provides
nospam.hiwaay.net in their DNS as 127.0.0.1. So that sounded like a
good thing to use. Any better ideas? Or is this part of my problem?