Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:47:37 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
To:        beno <zope@2012.vi>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DIOCADDALTQ: Invalid argument

beno wrote:
> Thank you for all of your comments and help.
>
> According to my googling, this error is thrown when one has too many cbq
> classes. The limit, apparently, is 256. I don't have 1/20th of that
> limit, so I must be doing something else wrong. Here is the part of my
> pf.conf file in question:
>
> # class-based queueing (cbq)
> altq on $ext_if cbq bandwidth 3Mb queue { ssh, standard }
> queue ssh bandwidth 500Kb cbq(default) { ssh_login, ssh_bulk }
>  queue ssh_login bandwidth 100Kb cbq(default)
>  queue ssh_bulk bandwidth 400Kb cbq(borrow, priority 2)
> queue standard bandwidth 2500Kb cbq(ecn, priority 2) { http, ftp, email,
> other }
>  queue http bandwidth 1900Kb cbq(default) (ecn, borrow)
>  queue ftp bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, borrow, priority 2)
>  queue email bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, priority 3)
>  queue other bandwidth 200Kb cbq(ecn, priority 2)
>
> I have these options loaded in my kernel:
>
> # Packet Filters
> device pf
> device pflog
> device pfsync
> options         ALTQ
> options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
> options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
> options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
> options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
> options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
>
> According to the tutorial, one cannot have more than one default per
> queue, which I am (perhaps mistakenly) interpreting to mean that one can
> (and I presume should) have one default per queue and per sub-queue,
> since they are nested and therefore semi-autonomous/independent. I am
> admittedly confused concerning priq and priority.
> TIA,
> beno

Dear Beno,

As others already have stated a couple of times, make sure you entirely
read what the information tells you. There can only be one default line.
You have three. Which is not quite the same as you will also be able to
tell.

Please remove the subqueue default's and test it with pfctl -n -f
/etc/pf.conf to see whether there are any other rules.

Btw: you forgot one important step; show the error you are facing,
this most likely can help you a lot more then just spitting out some
information and have us figure out the rest.

So again: one default means one default, and not more (not even in
subqueue's since they are inherited from the main queue and inherit
the default, it is already used).

Hope this helps, now go read the documentation and solve your problem.

Remko

--
Kind regards,

    Remko Lodder  ** remko@elvandar.org