Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:31:12 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Problem Accessing Internet via FreeBSD Gateway

Hi,

What does ``sysctl -a | fgrep ip.forward'' say ?  I'd expect the
answer to be ``net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1'' indicating that the
machine is forwarding packets.

The difference is that because you've got a DNS on the gateway
machine, it's effectively acting as a proxy for your DNS requests and
is independent of the machines packet forwarding capability.  ie:

  windows DNS --> gateway DNS --> 'net

as distinct from

  windows app -> gateway LAN interface -> gateway default interface -> 'net

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>