Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:35:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@q9media.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: inetd(8) warns patch

David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie> writes:
> > I would appreciate your comments on the patch at the end of this
> > message.  I'm not entirely sure about removing the legacy setproctitle
> > stuff.  If you'd like to keep it in there, the prototype for main()
> > will need two versions.  One for the legacy setproctitle and one
> > for normal use.
>
> Looks fine to me, as long as __unused is considered acceptable in
> our code. (I know you can get rid of the __unused for compilers
> that don't understand it by using a #define, but if another compiler
> denotes unused variables/parameters by "unused int blah;" then
> you can't generate this statement.)

__unused is the preferred way to mark unused variables.  It's our
wrapper for gcc's __attribute__((__unused__)).  See <sys/cdefs.h>
for details.

> Would you like me to commit it?

Yes, thanks.

> (I'm also slightly suprised that the WARNS flags don't whine about
> the nasty SWAP marco which contains a gccism.)

gcc doesn't really care about gccisms unless -ansi and -pedantic
are specified.  That macro could probably be made portable using a
third argument and a union.

> BTW - I was looking at doing WARNS stuff for syslogd and it doesn't
> seem to be very easy 'cos syslogd uses writev(2) and iov_base
> pointers are of type "char *" not "const char *". I'm not subscribed
> to -audit so I don't know if anyone has a suggested workaround for
> these situations.

Gererally speaking, it's usually a good idea to fix the root problem.
If writev(2) and friends don't need to write to that variable, it's
questionable why it's a char *.  Some things just don't work with
WARNS, such as RPC, because of library evilness.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft