Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:09:22 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ken Gage <KGage@Wigwamresort.com>
Subject:   Re: HELP..!

On 11 Oct 00, at 11:52, Ken Gage wrote:

> I am looking for a boot disk that will allow me to boot up my PC and
> load settings for the network card and ftp to your site and install
> FREEBSD.

> I have done this once before and I am trying to remember how I did this.

> Can you please send me either the files needed for this boot disk or
> help me find the site that walks me through the process of making the
> two boot disks.

> Last time I made that disk it asked me my (dns, gateway, Subnet, IP) So
> on and it worked great. Please advise. I have a Redhat Server right now
> and I was considering building another server using FreeBSD.

Ken, you'll need two boot disks.  Make sure they're 100% good,
because there's no tolerance during the install.  You have to get
kern.flp on one disk, and mfsroot.flp on the other.  These two
should be available from ftp.freesoftware.com.  From your Red Hat
machine, you can copy these images to the floppy's using:

dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/fd0

From a Windows/DOS machine, you'll need to pick up another
utility from the FTP site called RAWRITE.EXE, which has similar
syntax and will perform this purpose.

Of course, the easiest method for FreeBSD install is to purchase
the CD set and just boot from the first CD, provided your CDROM
can do El Torito.

HTH,
-Charlie