Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:57:01 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        atk2@arctic.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: checking hard disk -- hdparm like tool?

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 10:42:01AM -0000, atk2@arctic.org wrote:
> The motherboard is an A7V333 (new board) that has a VT8233a for south bridge
> which supports ata133 (aka UDMA 6). The bios indicates the drive is UDMA 6
> enabled.
>
> My original email suggested that maybe FreeBSD doesn't detect/understand the
> VT8233a and is reverting to UDMA 2 - could this be the case?

You're probably right -- it looks like you have everything set up
correctly, but the driver is playing it safe with an unknown controller.

It might be worth upgrading to the latest -STABLE and verifying that the
problem still exists.  Then send a message to freebsd-stable, perhaps cc'd
to Søren Schmidt, the author of the ata driver (his address is in the
manpage).  There might be a very simple patch to tell the driver that yes,
this controller really does support these modes.

Cheers,

	Scott