Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:55:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@pigstuy.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "sporkl@ix.netcom.com" <sporkl@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:   Re: SparQ drive

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Steve Friedrich wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 21:23:32 -0500 (EST), Spike Gronim wrote:
>
> >	I just got an internal IDE SparQ 1G drive. It is recognized as the
> >secondary master by my BIOS. I have the following in my kernel:
> >
> >controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> >disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
> >disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
> >
> >	But dmesg simply reports:
> >
> >wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> >
> >	There is a cartridge in the drive. How can I get this thing
> >detected by FreeBSD?
>
> If your BIOS reported it on the startup screen, like it does the rest
> of the BIOS detected devices, I would have expected it to fly.  The
> trouble I ran into (when attempting to use one for DOS, Win3.1, Win95,
> OS/2 testing) was finding a BIOS that would detect it so I could boot
> off it.  I had a clone moboard based on the AMD K5 and it wouldn't
> detect it, but a clone (taiwan) moboard with the 200 MHz Pentium MMX
> worked fine.  Still, I had problems with OS/2 and WinNT because they
> knew it was removable media and they didn't like that being a boot
> device...
>
> BTW, I just read today that SyQuest filed chapter 11...

Eek... stuck with Iomega.... <shudder>

> I hope they recover.  I like their drives MUCH better than Iomega...
> Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.

Ok, LINT says that FBSD 2.2.7 doesn't support EIDE.

The SparQ drive's box says it is EIDE. The ordering webpage at J&R states
"Internal IDE drive", so I was not aware of this.

Can I use an EIDE device on my FreeBSD 2.2.7 system (any special
patches/drivers out there?), can I use an EIDE device in 3.0, or should I
go through the trouble of returnign the thing in exchange for an external
SCSI version (I already have a SCSI adapter in the system)?

Thanks.

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.