Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:12:22 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chris Browning" <brownicm@prokyon.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Microsoft bashers

Your welcome.  It's no coincidence that the dot-com meltdown happened when
it did.  Once you relate the ages of the company principles involved and
when they got their economic education it all becomes crystal clear.  Bill
Gates happens to be in that same generation, people forget that a lot too.
What they also forget is that while Bill talks the same talk of "government
hands off business" that was popular, in reality he is utterly dependent on
governmental regulation.  Hell the entire commercial software industry is
founded on this idea of copyright law, and that took a series of global
treaties to get squared away a few years ago.  People only see the tip of the
iceberg when they see the ruckus over the DMCA and the recording industry.

There's been a lot of readjustment of business theory and operation lately.
Some were readjusted by going bankrupt, others like Microsoft are being
forcibly
readjusted by the courts.  Some, like Amazon, are desperately repudiating
everything they have been saying in the past.  The economists are still
resisting adjusting their economic theories as a result of all this - but they
are getting scared to death because the theories that seemed to work the last
20 years, such as the one that said that interest rates are the key economic
adjustment knob of the economy, aren't working.

And, as far as this being an inappropriate forum for political discussions -
that's a laugh and a half.  The entire BSD license itself is political.  In
fact the entire Free Software movement itself, whether it's GPL or BSD
or Artistic or something else, is a political movement.

If politics really had no business in the Free Software movement, then nobody
would be using BSD or GPL or whatever, they would just put their code into the
public domain.  But, I guess I've triggered enough political arguments for the
day. ;-)