Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:47:01 -0500
From:      Brian Neal <brian@ns1.cetinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help setting up PPP dialup server...

 I am trying to set up a FreeBSD machine as a PPP dialup server
 for Windows clients to access the internet.  The primary dialup
 server is an NT machine and it just went to hell, but I have
 been working on a FreeBSD based dialup server in my spare time
 to use in emergencies like these, I just didn't expect to see one
 so soon...

 I am trying to use kernel PPP (pppd) as explained in the handbook,
 (with kermit), but everytime I run the startup script, I get this
 error:

  +++ATH0
  OK
  ATS0=1
  OK

  pppd 2.3.1 started by root, uid 0
  Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cuaa1
  Serial line is looped back
  Connection terminated, connected for 1 minutes

 I don't know why I keep getting `Serial line is looped back',
 but as soon as that message appears I get the next line
 (connection terminated)...

 I you need to see my configuration file (/etc/ppp/options, etc...)
 please, let me know....

 I have also tried User PPP with mgetty, but I can't seem to get clients
 online, they only get a shell, but are unable to get a PPP connection...

 Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

 Brian Neal