Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:11:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updated ATAPI/CAM patches

> Hmm, why do we need to add new layers and loss of functionality
> to the ATAPI devices ?

Many many many people would like to be able to use cdrecord to burn data
to cd's so that all the front-ends to cdrecord will work. It's much nicer
than memorizing mkisofs commandline switches :-)

What functionality is lost by this ability?

> > > So here's my vote for a quick commit.
> >
> > No.  See below.  There are still problems with it.
>
> I'll quit the ATA/ATAPI development/maintenance if this goes in quickly.
> There are alot of issues here that needs solutions. It will need a
> *serious* maintainer that handles all aspects of it, especially
> dealing with error reports for one thing, technically it needs
> to be brought to a state where it works on alot more HW that seems
> to be the case for now, and the integration into the ATA driver
> should be dealt with a bit differently.

If it has so many problems... why not just clean it up? Just curious...

Ken