Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:27:10 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Duncan Sterling <buffalo@radix.net>, aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIC-7892, RH Linux 7.3 Problems (Update)

> Greetings All,
>
> As a further experiment, I've tried bringing up my afflicted RH 7.3 server
> with an earlier version of the kernel, 2.4.18-3 SMP, which includes an
> earlier version of the aic7xxx driver, version 6.2.5.
>
> Interestingly, the 6.2.5 driver doesn't complain about a "Corrupted Serial
> EEPROM" as the 6.2.6 version on the same box does.
>
> However, the speed of the machine when doing anything that requires
> intensive disk I/O (like large database queries) is still substantially
> slower machines I have with identical hardware running RH 7.1 and 7.2,
> with an earlier version of the aic7xxx driver, 5.2.4/5.2.0.
>
> Short of wiping the machine of RH 7.3 and falling back to 7.2 or 7.1, can
> anyone suggest an alternative?

Duncan,

Its hard to say from the information you've provided if your problem
stems from the new aic7xxx driver or from other changes in the kernel.
Can you provide answers to the following questions which might help me
understand your problem.

1) Can you more fully describe the types of performance differences you
   see, how you measure these differences, and perhaps a simple benchmark
   that I could use to recreate what you are seeing?

2) Can you provide a dmesg from you system, preferably with
   aic7xxx=verbose?

3) If you aic7xxx_old under 7.3, does the performance change.  If so,
   in what ways?

4) Are your devices negotiating to the same speeds?  Catting
   /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/# (<= replace '#' with scsi bus number)
   should provide this information.

5) Do you see different performance if you upgrade to the latest
   version of the aic7xxx driver.  A tarfile relative to recent 2.4.X
   kernels for this driver can be found here:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/tarballs/aic79xx-linux-2.4.tar.gz

(it also includes the aic79xx driver, but that shouldn't be a problem)

--
Justin