Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:07:16 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        lausts@acm.org, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel (was Re: BeagleBone Crochet Build Problem)

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org wrote on
Tue Oct 3 20:03:32 UTC 2017 :

> I strongly favor the current approach that has a custom kernel
> configuration file and U-Boot for each SOC.

(End of quotes from your text. Later ones are from
elsewhere.)

I do not expect that is the current approach in head
any more. Using ALLWINNER as an example:

=
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/conf/?sortby=3Drev&sortdir=3D=
down#dirlist

shows that there is only one ALLWINNER* configuration file:

ALLWINNER_UP	 320777	 2 months	 andrew	  Remove the MULTIDELAY =
option from arm. It's now enabled when PLATFORM is enabled=E2=80=A6

for uniprocessor ALLWINNER's.

ALLWINNER was removed by -r320327 :

> Revision 320327 - Directory Listing=20
> Modified Sun Jun 25 11:31:39 2017 UTC (3 months, 1 week ago) by manu
> Remove ALLWINNER kernel config file, all release image for SMP =
Allwinner
> board uses GENERIC and it's not updated for newer SoC.

Adding to GENERIC has included removing non-GENERIC in
recent times. ALLWINNER might not have been updated for
some time before it was removed for all I know. The
last update prior to the removal was:

> Revision 308405 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]=20
> Modified Mon Nov 7 10:26:44 2016 UTC (10 months, 3 weeks ago) by =
andrew=20
> File length: 2994 byte(s)=20
> Diff to previous 305505
> Start to deorbit the kernel configs in GENERIC by marking them with
> NO_UNIVERSE. This stops them from being built with the universe,
> tinderbox, and related targets.
>=20
> Sponsored by:	ABT Systems Ltd

One of the differences with GENERIC vs. lots of individual
kernel configurations set up for full activities is the number
of builds in universe, tinderbox, and the like: GENERIC is one
build.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net