Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:50:59 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, 'Rick Hamell' <hamellr@aracnet.com>, 'Doug Young' <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

On Wed 2000-08-02 (16:42), SILVER, MICHAEL A wrote:
> the simplest things with out them.  You would be challenged to find better
> and more up-to-date documentation on any other free software.

Thanks for your comments and praise; I'm sure the individual authors
would love if you sent them an email if you find one of their sections
particularly useful.

> The problem lies in the gap between experienced UNIX admins and
> inexperienced UNIX users, like myself (striving to be an admin).  Certain
> knowledge of UNIX is assumed, not purposely by the doc writers, but the doc
> writer already have this knowledge.  Many "newbies" simply don't have this
> knowledge.

I agree wholeheartedly, but the "newbies" (including me sometimes)
shouldn't hesitate to contact the doc writers if they gloss over
something.  I'm sure none of them would mind adding a link to where to
find introductory information on topics glossed over in their section.

> It almost seems an insult to those that document FreeBSD to have
> simple step by step instructions on doing very specific mundane tasks,
> however this is what many of us require.

I can assure you that noone will be insulted by clear,
easy-to-understand instructions, even the most hard-core systems
administrator.  Cryptic things irritate everyone, trust me!  The number
of times I've seen some of the kernel hackers wishing that certain
systems were explained better... (:

> I don't know how this would fit into the current documentation
> project.  This really should be a separate "how to" or example manual.

The documentation project is growing quite rapidly, and there are a set
of handbooks (the original handbook, the porters handbook, and the
to-be-created developers handbook and users handbook) which will cover
largish amounts of stuff in "reasonable detail".

There are currently two "primers", which cover ppp and the FreeBSD
Documentation Project at great depth.

There are also a number of articles (some of them suffering from decay),
such as the (new and undecayed) dialup-firewall recipe-like article, the
committers guide, and the (much decayed) new-users article.  They are
intended to cover one subject or task in good, easy to use,
instructions, but don't quite go as in-depth at the primers.

I'm sure there is easily enough place for any documentation pertaining
to FreeBSD.

> Neil, how can we help with the documentation project?

Everyone in the documentation project intends to trawl through the
mailing lists, and turn all problems and solutions into a working
document.  Of course, time moves against us, since going through a
week's problems and solutions probably takes a good two weeks ;).

The first, and easiest, way to help is simply to notify the project that
there is an issue with the documents.  It can be as simple as sending
mail to doc@FreeBSD.org, with your concerns.  If you want to make it
much easier for us, try use send-pr (there's a web interface for that
too).  If you have trouble with either, feel free to ask me.

The second way is to write up something when you've had a problem, and
found a solution.  It may end up going into the FAQ, or into the
handbook in an obvious place, if it is small.  If it is large, you may
find yourself the next darling of the documentation project, and have a
full-fledged tutorial going. (:

suggestions where you can.  It probably has more messages than here, so
it might be a problem for some of you.

> How can we build a document that will help new people setup and
> configure FreeBSD?  I think the Handbook has great content for
> newbies, sometimes.  Somehow we need to fill in the gaps, before we
> can no longer appreciate the needs of the newer users.  (if that made
> any sense)

I think the answer is: "The way we've always done them."  FreeBSD is an
example of a community-driven project, which, in my opinion, has gone
right.  It is self-sustaining because enough people who use it,
contribute back to it by means of problem reports, patches, development
time, and even money sometimes.  I'm sure this can easily apply to the
documentation project (and, if I may say so, it hasn't done a terrible
job so far).

If I may pretend to advise - If you don't let anybody know about your
problems, and you don't fix them yourself, then you're suffering without
reason.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner