Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:46:50 -0600
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        breath@unix.net
Subject:   Re: Reboots after "OR AL,1  MOV CR0, EAX" on some computers.

> good free environment for initialization and further running. Shortly: ON
> SOME COMPUTERS (MAYBE CPUS) I GET REBOOTING JUST ON 'JMP' INSTRUCTION
> AFTER PE BIT IS ENABLED. I've got no reboots on all i386, i486, i586
> computers that I tryed to boot from. I have a Pentium III Celeron
> (Coppermine) 900MHz - no reboots. Also tested on some Pentium II 400MHz -
> no reboots. But on other side Pentium IV (don't remember speed) gave me a
> reboot. And other computer I was not able to see processor model (maybe
> PentiumIV !?) gave me a reboot too. Using endless loop stop points I
> figured out that reboot is before any instruction pointed by 'protected'
> label and that reboot happens after setting the PE bit.

I've tested the code on a Dual-CPU P-166 - the system always goes into
cold reboot. I first thought that SMP systems need some special procedure
to switch to protected mode (the fact that all Pentium IV CPUs have second
logical processor helps the idea), but then I tested it on Athlon XP
system - reboots also.
I'll play with it later. Maybe somebody at freebsd-hackers know the answer?

Timestamp: 0x4118F317
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/
ridin' VN1500-B2