Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:27:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Eric Brasseur <eric.brasseur@softhome.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: netscape7-7.0  'found a solution

> b) Next problem is the "lock" link inside /usr/compat/linux/root/.mozilla
> directory is not deleted when Netscape 7 exits (
> /usr/compat/linux/root/.mozilla/default/5th6tt7g.slt/lock in my very case),
> even on a perfectly sane and regular exit. The reason is Netscape 7 tries to
> erase the lock link from the /root/.mozilla directory... So I simply created
> a link  /root/.mozilla pointing towards the /usr/compat/linux/root/.mozilla
> directory. That's it.

If you could do your browsing as an unprivileged user, or if you could put
your /compat/linux on a read-only file system, then the
/compat/linux/root/.mozilla/ directory wouldn't be created.  That might
alleviate the problem.

At <URL:http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/ns7/relnotes/7.html#prefs>; you
can get the advice, "do not share a profile between Netscape and Mozilla
builds."  There are Linux binary ports of the Beonex and Phoenix browsers
(ports/www/linux-beonex and ports/www/linux-phoenix).  Those keep their
profiles in ~/.beonex/ or ~/.phoenix/, so they do not conflict with
Netscape 7 or Mozilla.
--
Trevor Johnson