Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:02:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Logo competition (was: Re: Save the Demon!)

Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme said:
 > > [...]
 > > > I'm not seeing a problem here. Beastie is not a religious icon,
 > > > not is it intended to be one.
 > >
 > > Right -- but it looks like one.  And every now and then
 > > there are people who are offended by it because of their
 > > religious bias.
 >
 > Boo Hoo! Use Linux then, or is the Penguin sacrilege to your religion too?

Personally I do not care, but there are people who do care,
and we shouldn't be too arrogant or intolerant to ignore
them.  There's no sane reason to scare them off to Linux.

Currently, FreeBSD lacks a real logo (it does have a mascot,
though, but that's a different thing), and given the fact
that FreeBSD is an open source project largely driven by
community efforts, it's a natural thing to let the community
design and vote for a new logo by having a public competition.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

NetBSD did the very same thing last year, for very similar
reasons.

(BTW, the subject of this thread is nonsense.  There's no
need to "save the demon" because Beastie is not in danger
at all; apart from that it's spelled "daemon" or "dĉmon".)

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout