Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:50:55 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bikesheds

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 01:36:31PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Bzzt, wrong, but thanks for playing.
>
> Actually, as someone who remembers phk's original discussion (and the
> citation of some Danish aphorism from which it springs), this is wrong
> too. :-)

Nobody seems to be remember it right so I dug it up in the archives.
Here's the URL to the archives (didn't these used to be shorter?):

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=506636+517178+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-hackers/19991003.freebsd-hackers

Here's the relavent part of PHK's message for the lazy:

> "What is it about this bike shed ?" Some of you have asked me.
>
> It's a long story, or rather it's an old story, but it is quite
> short actually.  C. Northcote Parkinson wrote a book in the early
> 1960'ies, called "Parkinson's Law", which contains a lot of insight
> into the dynamics of management.
>
> [snip a bit of commentary on the book]
>
> Parkinson shows how you can go in to the board of directors and
> get approval for building a multi-million or even billion dollar
> atomic power plant, but if you want to build a bike shed you will
> be tangled up in endless discussions.
>
> Parkinson explains that this is because an atomic plant is so vast,
> so expensive and so complicated that people cannot grasp it, and
> rather than try, they fall back on the assumption that somebody
> else checked all the details before it got this far.   Richard P.
> Feynmann gives a couple of interesting, and very much to the point,
> examples relating to Los Alamos in his books.
>
> A bike shed on the other hand.  Anyone can build one of those over
> a weekend, and still have time to watch the game on TV.  So no
> matter how well prepared, no matter how reasonable you are with
> your proposal, somebody will seize the chance to show that he is
> doing his job, that he is paying attention, that he is *here*.
>
> In Denmark we call it "setting your fingerprint".  It is about
> personal pride and prestige, it is about being able to point
> somewhere and say "There!  *I* did that."  It is a strong trait in
> politicians, but present in most people given the chance.  Just
> think about footsteps in wet cement.

-- Brooks