Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:24:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Daniel Frazier" <dfrazier@magpage.com>, "Matthew J . Turk" <m-turk@nwu.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SSHD Problems...

Hmmmm....   any way to fix this _other_ than going _further_
down the PAM road?  Like - maybe SHUT IT OFF?!?!?!

Not all of us want or need the latest
doo-dad or dingle-hopper module that someone has suddenly
decided is a "must have" for FreeBSD.

Frankly I'm starting to get a bit sick of it.  Adding sshd
in as an option was very pleasant.  _mandating_ it by putting
it in the startup so that keys are generated during installation
was not so pleasant, but I decided to let it slide.  Switching
Kerberos default from off to _on_ as an installation option is the action of
an asshole who thinks they know how to set up my server better than
I do.

So, what's the next on the "we're gonna ram this new option
down your fucking throat and make you go through hoops to
turn it off despite the fact only a few obnoxious people
are screaming for it" campaign for FreeBSD?  I know, let's
switch off root logins on the console so that if you want to
ever login as root you have to bring up the system as single-user
mode.  Hey, that's insecure - let's switch off ALL logins!
That's it - the ultimate FreeBSD installation - out of the
box it simply cannot be accessed at all!!!!!!

Despite the screeching from the "I live on an insecure campus
network with a million wanna-be student crackers and goddamit my net is
representative of all networks everywhere" crowd, it _is_ possible
to go overboard with the security angle here.  Maybe some of
the chief proponents ought to quit the FreeBSD effort and go join
OpenBSD - they seem to eat this stuff up.