Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 12:00:39 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/27784: Maintainer volunteer && update: java/jdk-doc

Heya Doug,

> > > Your port was committed with some improvements. Most notably, please
> > > learn how to use portlint, and always sort your plist. That makes it
> > > much much easier to diff down the road, and keeps the diffs small.
> >
> > Sorry, but your 'improvements' broke the port.
>
> 	You are correct, I just committed the fix. I tested everything else after
> my changes, and assumed (foolishly) that this would work as well. My
> apologies.

Wow, this really *is* the power of the FreeBSD community. Look at the time
between the problem was noted and the moment it was fixed. Just incredible. =)

And there's in fact no harm done. I'm sorry if I sounded a bit irritated. I'm
still improving my port-writing skills, and I'm glad I found a way around
defining DISTFILES instead of just using DISTNAME. The latter is -ofcourse-
the better approach.

I used this DISTFILES approach with more ports, I will make sure they will
just use DISTNAME in combination with your suggestions next time I submit an
update.

> 	Ok, I'll take that at face value, but you missed the warnings about the
> problems possible when defining DISTFILES with only one file. I generally
> use 'portlint -abct', which tends to be a little _too_ picky, but also
> points out good stuff.

Ah, will try that next time. In my ANSI C days I used to use lint and I didn't
stop modifying my source code until lint couldn't find anything to complain
about anymore B-) I've become a little less strict since.

> > I also know about a few quirks, one of them
> > being that I need to define DISTFILES and not just DISTNAME if I want to check
> > if the file to be downloaded exists and otherwise print a message.
>
> 	That's not necessarily true. :) Take a look at the fix I just committed.
> Remember, less is more.

Yeah, it looks much better. Thanks.

> > Next time when taking over a port I will regenerate the pkg-plist file, as you
> > suggested.
>
> 	Great, thanks.

Thanks.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
Java Architect

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ