Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 23:00:35 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make fetch

 * then suddenly started compiling lang/itcl, as below (not what I wanted,
 * as it stopped using the dial up slip link)

Look at it carefully, it is not building itcl, it's building tcl.
This is the same thing you've reported before.

 *   ===>  itcl-1.5 depends on:  /usr/ports/lang/tcl
           ^^^^
 *   ===>  Verifying build for /usr/ports/lang/tcl
                                               ^^^
 *   >> No MD5 checksum file.
 *   ===>  Extracting for tcl-7.3
                          ^^^^^^^

There is already a hack in bsd.port.mk that allows you to skip these
stuff.  I think I sent you a mail when I added this, didn' I?

I know this is not a really desirable solution. The "real" fix will
come (hopefully) sometime later this week when I manage to reorganize
the whole "dependency" paradigm.

Satoshi
-------
revision 1.171
date: 1995/07/11 02:15:35;  author: asami;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -2
Add IS_DEPENDED_TARGET to change the behavior of a port when you want
to do something else than "install".  For example,

make IS_DEPENDED_TARGET=fetch fetch

will fetch the required distfiles including those of the dependencies
without actually building and installing dependencies.

Also document ECHO_MSG.

Requested by:   paul
Reviewed by:    paul, jhs and others