Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:05:22 +0900
From:      Motonori Shindo <mshindo@ascend.co.jp>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's driver, AOpen AW37, and me.

Hi,

Now I found the problem and got AW37Pro to work finally.

From: Motonori Shindo <mshindo@ascend.co.jp>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 22:13:07 +0900

> But I'm still experiencing an unacceptable level of noise in the
> sound. The .au file I used shouldn't have any format problem since
> it's playbacked normally on another machine with SoundBlaster16
> installed.

As oppose to what I wrote above, the problem was the .au file format.
The file I used for the playback is

http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/pub/computing/mail/metamail/email-valentine.au

but this .au file doesn't seem to have a proper .au header.

% file email-valentine.au
email-valentine.au: data

whereas proper .au file should give me, for example,

% file Porche.au
Porche.au: Sun/NeXT audio data: 8-bit ISDN u-law, mono, 8000 Hz

BUT, please note that email-valentine.au was able to be playedback by
SoundBlaster16 properly. 423X driver should be able to do the same
thing as SB16.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Motonori Shindo
   Systems Engineer