Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:12:35 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        security at FreeBSD <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SA-03:02.openssl for RELENG_4_6_2 vs. RELENG_4_5

On Mar 13, at 11:54 AM, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> Oh! I also need to know how one ascertains what binaries are statically
> linked to libcrypto and/or libssl?

Got it. Try this:

    find $DIR -type f \
        |xargs readelf -a 2>/dev/null \
        |awk '/^File:/ { name = $2; printed = 0; } \
          /SSL|TLS/ { if (!printed) { print name; printed = 1; } }' \
        |xargs ldd 2>/dev/null

This might be too liberal, but better safe than sorry. If it returns
just filenames, they're statically-linked.

On my workstation, only Mozilla has components (12 libraries) that
are statically-linked to SSL/TLS code, but I don't know if they use
the system SSL/TLS libraries, or if they're completely self-contained.

> Anyone know how to run the tests in /usr/src/crypto/openssl/apps and/or
> /usr/src/crypto/openssl/test, and what to look for?  :-)

This I still need help with.

Thanks,
Dave

--