Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:26:32 +0200 (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Westeurop=E4ische_Sommerzeit?=)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Paul Saab <ps@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Paul Saab wrote:

> Can you try this patch?  It should fix the performance problems you
> are having.

Hi,

I've seen that the patch already made it intp -STABLE, so I cvsupped
and rebuilt everything, but I'm afraid to say that things got worse.
Mounting the file system that is located on the Smart Array controller
works, but as soon as there is some heavier disk activity on the
controller (like the daily security runs etc.), the accessing processes
hang up and keep stuck in an "uninterruptable disk wait" state. I can't
even reboot the machine remotely, I have to go to the system room and
push the button.

camcontrol now gives this output:

[root@raidtest /home/le]# camcontrol tags da0 -v
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): dev_openings  1024
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): dev_active    0
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): devq_openings 1024
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): devq_queued   0
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): held          0
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): mintags       2
(pass0:ciss0:0:0:0): maxtags       255

(This is taken from the built-in SmartArray 5i controller, but the figures
were the same on the 5300 controller AFAIR. I can't verify it right now,
because "camcontrol tags da1" gets stuck too and I'm about 200km away
from the machine :-( ).

Any hints? I can test more patches if you have them, but not before
monday, when I'm back to work.

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/