Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 12:55:14 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
Cc:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/i386 locore.s swtch.s sys/i386/include  pmap.h

Hi,

> Just got current-smp (current as ~13:00 GMT 27 nov 1996) up... sort of
> up at least...
>
> First atemps needed adjustments for NBUS, but that was easy enough. Maybe
> it would be nice to print a suggested value? Not just that is should
> be increased?

the program 'mptable' (on the SMP web page) will analyze your
board and create a definitive "options" list for your config file.  The
defaults are set to the minimums to avoid kernel bloat.  I want to keep
extended examination of the MP table out of the kernel, again to avoid
bloat, hence the mptable tool.  Maybe I should make the message suggest
mptable?

---
> However then came:
> BIOS basemem (633K) != RTC basemem (640K), setting to BIOS value
> unknown bus type: 'XPRESS'
>
> Followed by panic...
> Argh, haven't had time to study what it would like to know about the bus.
> If it is something special, anyone that has enough information to do
> something about it?
> Well, it worked in earlier releases, so I quickly commented out the panic()
> and continued. Just didn't have the patience :)

if you don't need to use anything on the XPRESS bus it should be simple,
I'll look at it later today...

---
> Then:
> Warning: current SMP kernel only tested with 2 CPUs.
> Please report the results to:  <smp@freebsd.org>
>   <return> to continue...
> Application Processor #3 failed!
> panic (cpu#0):
>
> Yup, thats it.
Peter?

---
> Forcing it to run on just the two first cpus works though.
> Seems to be something fishy somewhere though. Sendmail likes to
> core dump after boot, and running make -j usually ends up with
> kernel: pid 1338 (cpp), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

known problem in current SMP kernel, expected and being worked on...
We will announce its fix LOUDLY when we finish it!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD