Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:57:52 +0200
From:      Rick van der Zwet <info@rickvanderzwet.nl>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck_ufs a 2TB partition with 256MB RAM stalls

I want to build a file server with limited power usage, so I got
myself an ALIX alix2d13 which has 256MB DDR RAM. I connected a 2TB
USB2.0 disk to the alix2d13 to be used as storage.

The file system gets corrupted due to power failure, which is likely
going to happen when running Solar Power in The Netherlands, I cannot
fix it anymore cause the fsck_ufs never to complete. This actually
makes sense as the recommendation [1] says ``1TB storage needs 1GB of
RAM for fsck_ufs''.

I can partition my disk in 16 parts of 128GB to work around the
matter, but I rather keep one large partition. Any recommendations of
getting this solved or will the smaller partitions be my only friend?

Br. /Rick
[1] http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.stable/msg/4f1dcc954ecb7392
--
http://rickvanderzwet.nl