Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org, jake@locore.ca
Subject:   Re: gettimeofday() and crhold()/crfree() (was Re: gettimeofday() and copyout(). Is copyout() MPSAFE on non-i386 archs? )

:Go ahead with using mutex pools for creds, I thought I'd done it
:already but it looks like I only got to struct file and struct
:uidinfo. :)
:
:I do sort of think that keeping your own cred freelist is probably
:a bad idea especially with what Jeff R has coming down the pipe for
:us.  But we can take that out later if something better comes along.
:
:-Alfred

    Well, I dunno... I'm warming to the idea if it in fact eases the job
    of pushing Giant down.  It seems so easy to do for the ucred, though
    of course I am not trying to proactively trim down the size of the
    freelist (yet)... but even that would be fairly simple to do in the
    allocation code by adding a count of the number of items in the freelist.

    It would be another ten lines of code relative to the patch
    I just posted.  int cr_free_count; .. in allocation code do
    while (cr_free_count > HYSTERESIS) { ... free ... }

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>