Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:11:13 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I found a Linux-based utility for Phoenix BIOS "suspend to disk"

David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> probably said:
> but I'm wondering about the comments (and a bit of code I noted) that seems
> to presume that the suspend-to-disk partition/slice must be the one
> referenced by the 4th entry in the partition table.

This does seem to be the case. phdisk.exe always sets it up this way,
and if you use any other fdisk slice it doesn't seem to work.

> I have yet to "prepare" the suspend-to-disk "partition", since I had no
> way to run the supplied "PHDISK.EXE".  (It appears to have an operating
> dependency on software I neither have, want, nor would entrust my system
> to.)

I've never managed to get manually created partitions to work with
suspend to disk. I've always booted from floppy and used phdisk.exe to
create it. Never had any other method work, but I havn't messed with
the code you're talking about.

> understand what limitations there might be: maybe the Phoenix BIOS
> requires that suspend-to-disk be pointed to by the last partition-table
> entry?

That is my assumption.

> In that case, does the order of table entries need to correspond
> to the order of the "partitions" themselves?  That is, using the above
> actual layout, could it be valid to have the 3rd table entry point to
> the 4th "partition", and the 4th table entry point to the 3rd
> "partition"?  Or is that likely to Really Confuse some brain-dead excuse
> for software somewhere...?

I have a 20Gb disk laid out;

s1 windows
s2 freebsd
s4 suspend to disk
s3 more freebsd

The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 11,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT)
    start 63, size 7550487 (3686 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 469/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 7550550, size 8337735 (4071 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 470/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 988/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 16434495, size 22635585 (11052 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 1023/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 254
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 160,(Suspend to Disk)
    start 15888285, size 546210 (266 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 989/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1022/ sector 63/ head 254

The order on the disk doesn't matter, it's just the table entry.

> Or maybe it's OK for the suspend-to-disk "partition" to be at the
> tail end of a 20 GB disk...?

The suspend to disk partition must be under 8Gb.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu