Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:30:24 GMT
From:      "D. J. Bernstein" <freebsd-d8749b97554608222e6dfa2fbc915a0b@box.cr.yp.to>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/87348: amd64+smp+startkde always crashing

The following reply was made to PR amd64/87348; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <freebsd-d8749b97554608222e6dfa2fbc915a0b@box.cr.yp.to>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: 16 Nov 2005 15:29:18 -0000

 I think I've successfully tracked this one down: it's a serious X server
 bug, applicable to both BSD and Linux. Specifically, everything I've
 seen is fully explained by ATI Radeon DRI freezing the OS (no keyboard
 lights, no ping response, etc.) under AMD64 SMP. I've had no freezes
 after removing the ``Load "dri"'' line from the X configuration.

 ---D. J. Bernstein, Professor, Mathematics, Statistics,
 and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago