Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:32:50 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison), gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new 6.1 install will not boot

You pretty much followed what I had wrote before that when I had a similar
problem, I booted the install disk, but exited sysinstall to a shell
prompt.  I then mounted the root partition, then manually copied over the
kernel from the install CD to the root partition.

That does copy over the GENERIC kernel which usually works but you may want
to customize.  Once I rebooted the system I cvsup'd, made and installed the
world and a custom kernel.

Remaking world will likely fix the problems you are having.

         -Derek