Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:28:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        marty@ulster.net (Marty Landman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a question ;O)

Marty Landman wrote:
> This is really about Apache and I apologize in advance but I couldn't
> find a link on their page for questions, nor could I find the answer
> looking around their site.  Hope you can help, the answer might be
> trivial to you, not to me though until I know what it is.
>
> I downloaded apache, and once I can get it up and running expect to do
> freebsd next, then perl.
> Problem is I downloaded "apache_1_3b7_tar.tar".  When opened Windows
> says it's a WinZip file, and when I then run WinZip I get "error reading
> header after processing 0 entries".  My config is

I'm surprised you didn't have to reload W95 from cdrom :)

> Win95/Netscape 4.06 although I also have MS IE and Mosaic installed on
> my machine, and an as yet uninstalled Lynx 2.8.  Not to mention AOL,
> which I hope we don't have to mention.
>
> I am assuming I've downloaded the right stuff but simply don't have the
> tools needed to 'untar' the files?
> Please help.
>
> Also if you can save me the email later and let me know how to go about
> getting freebsd... like I said, I'd love to use it.  I guess it all
> starts with the patchy-tary tcp/ip software.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse:

Freebsd is not a W95 application, but an independent operating system.
It doesn't operate with W95. They have no code in common, except what
M$ may have secretly borrowed over the years.

So...

Forget Windoze.
Install FreeBSD (perl comes with it, as does an apache package).

See www.freebsd.org for full details. Besides installation information,
theres a tutorial under the "documents" link for M$ people starting in
Unix.

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.