Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:06:18 -0500
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        bruno.schwander@technologist.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ucd snmp and MIBs for turbostack TS24tr

--/e2eDi0V/xtL+Mc8

On  0, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com> wrote:

> If you pick a name in that MIB and say "snmptranslate <name>", does it
> tell you the OID associated with it?  At one point you had to do something
> like "setenv MIBS ALL" to get net-snmp to notice new MIBs even if you
> put them in the right directory.

If I remember correctly (very well could be wrong on this), the default list
of MIBs to read is defined at compile time.  ucd-snmp (err, "net-snmp") pays
attention to the MIBS and MIBSDIR (or MIBDIR?) environ vars to tell it what
MIBs to read - setting MIBS=3DALL tells it to read everything in your MIB
directory, although that tends to generate a lot of warning messages when
you have a lot of MIB files from various manufacturers that aren't "quite
right"... =20

This one took me a little while to figure out - even if you put a MIB in the
right spot, the snmp utils will tend to ignore it unless you set MIBS=3DALL
(or MIBS=3Dsome_weird_thing_that_tells_it_to_only_grab_the_ones_you_want)..=

mike

--/e2eDi0V/xtL+Mc8

--/e2eDi0V/xtL+Mc8--