Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:16:05 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transition from modem PPP to PPPoE

> I've never thought that the 4 bytes of overhead per PPPoE frame was
> terribly inefficient, compared to, say, IP-in-IP with another 20 byte
> IP header.   But I'm certainly not arguing that a choice of technology
> be made on simply the number of bytes on the wire; there are other
> things to consider as well.

Ooops, must have been smoking some of Jordan's crack.  That's more
like 14 bytes rather than 4.  Still, we're in the same ballpark at
other schemes of tunneling over ethernet.

I think that the code path-length might be a bit longer for PPPoE, but
that's a wild-ass guess.  I have a suspicion that there's slightly more
overhead paid for the netgraph-based implementation as compared to
a optimally coded IP-in-IP tunnel (using gif?).  Of course, the
netgraph implementation is a huge win over running the packets
up into user mode and doing a context switch.

louie