Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:13:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: We got a mention!

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, David Scheidt wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>
>> I only hope (and i believe this is true) that there are plenty of
>> brilliant programmers who can overturn any roadblock M$ puts in front
>> of other OS's.  Like this Kerberos issue.  What can Unix admins do to
>> allow unix machines to work with w2k file and print servers now?  M$
>> is trying to lock them out.  Is there a way around it?
>
>Sure.  Don't use MS software.  Very simple.

If only it were that simple.  Unix at least recognizes that other OS's
may exist, and standards for exchange exist.  Some companies have
needs that are only served by M$ machines (some e-commerce, special
purpose apps, and all the secretaries who want to run Word) and they
need these machines to network with Unix machines.  Unix plays fair,
M$ doesn't.  But some businesses have already invested in M$
workstations.  Are you suggesting they all scrap their systems, then
switch to and re-train on Unix?  That seems unreasonable.  Even many
of the most passionate of Unix supporters here on this list at least
admit that it is poor reasoning to assume one OS can do *everything*
as well as any other OS.  It is unfair that M$ does *not* recognize
that fact, and makes its software in harmony with that reasoning.

>David

Please CC me on all replies