Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:13:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Hedley <cbh-freebsd-current@groups.chrishedley.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT spontaneously rebooting when using X

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Chris Hedley wrote:
> Could someone advise how I can get a bit more information to report?  :)
>
> I've just installed a fresh 6.0-RELEASE and immediately upgraded it to
> -CURRENT (most recent yesterday evening) and installed the latest xorg
> servers.  When I start X, usually within a few seconds to a couple of minutes
> the system falls over, but unfortauntely it doesn't leave me at the kernel
> debugger and doesn't do a kernel dump for some reason or other, it just goes

Thanks to David Wolfskill for talking me through setting up a serial
console, I'm able to extract some debugging information from my system
now.  Some initial bits (retyped by me, hopefully not too many mistakes)
follow:

kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled

fault virtual address   = 0x48
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xffffffff802b14fa
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xffffffffa263b9d0
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xffffffffa263ba10
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 38 (syncer)
[thread pid 38 tid 100042 ]
Stopped at       propagate_priority+0x6a     movq       0x48(%r15),%rbx

Tracing pid 38 tid 100042 td 0xffffff003db4a000
propagate_priority() at propagate_priority+0x6a
turnstile_wait() at turnstile_wait+0x20e
_mtx_lock_sleep() at _mtx_lock_sleep+0x89
vfs_busy_pages() at vfs_busy_pages+0xd4
bufwrite() at burwrite+0x7b
vfs_bio_awrite() at vfs_bio_awrite+0x5a
vop_stdfsync() at vop_stdfsync+0x28c
VOP_FSYNC_APV() at VOP_FSYNC+APV+0x3d
sched_sync() at sched_sync+0x415
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x86
form_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
--- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffffffa263bd40, rbp = 0 ---

Is there anything else that might be useful in tracking down this problem?
If it's anything that's very involved I may need to be pointed at an
instruction manual!

Cheers,

Chris.