Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:35:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>
Subject:   Backups...

Hi

No answers on this issue?

Paul

--
Paul Dekkers
E-Mail: <P.Dekkers@cgu.nl>
To err is human, to moo bovine

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 20:43:02 +0200 (CEST)
From: Paul Dekkers <psd@cgu.nl>

Hi

I want to make some backups of my systems but I don't know what's the best
method to make them. I tried as well tar as dump, but I still have some
questions:

When I tried dump using a loopback-device (mounted under /mnt/loop0) I
backed the whole 'partition' up with:
dump 0uf /mnt/loop.dmp /mnt/loop0
That works... I get a file of 30k with all files in it, and I can recover
all data with
restore if /mnt/loop.dmp
or
restore rf /mnt/loop.dmp
(but I don't know why the 'r' option, however if I leave it I can't
recover incrementals (when doing it with the 'if') and with just 'f' I get
an segmentation fault so I think its okay that way :-))

Next, when I try to make an incremental backup it doesn't work the way I
want it... I first modify some files, create some new and even
directories, and then I do:
dump 1uf /mnt/loop.dmp1 /mnt/loop0
The file is just 10k and has exactly the same files as in the first dump
(so newer files are NOT in it) but just the filetable, no file data...
(it's also smaller!)
Now, after doing the same backup again after an remount of the /mnt/loop0,
the 'dump 1uf ...' works, and the loop.dmp1 is 50k! But it's absolutely
not incremental: it contains every file, and all contents of all files...

Another strange fact is that when I make a tarball of the /mnt/loop0 tree
it's just 20k of size, and when compressing 600bytes instead of 2k of dump
file...

I really don't understand why... And of course I need to make safe backups
:-) (Planning to make them on a disk on another server using ssh or
something...)

Can anybody explain me what I'm doing wrong, of tell me how I have to make
backups? (Using dump or tar or another program...)

BTW: Is it possible to create 1 disk where I have to startup with when the
system crashed, and then put the backup on the system (so that I don't
have to install the whole FreeBSD first :-))

Paul

--
Paul Dekkers
E-Mail: <P.Dekkers@cgu.nl>