Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:38:55 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is man so slow?

On Thu, Nov 06, 1997 at 10:38:02PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> In FreeBSD-2.0.5 and now 2.2.2R, I find the man command to be
> ridiculously slow.  If I time "zcat /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz"
> it takes less than 1 sec. wall clock time.  But "man tar" takes a
> full 20 seconds before anything appears.
>
> And /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz is the only file in $MANPATH with
> a name matching "tar.*".  It's only 4894 bytes long!

Could it be that you are missing the directories
/usr/share/man/cat[1-9], or they are not writeable?  When a new
version of the system is installed, the contents of these directories
are removed, and the first time you access a man page, it needs to be
formatted with nroff.  It then *tries* to save the formatted man page
in the cat* hierarchy, but if it doesn't succeed, it won't complain,
and it will reformat the man page every time.

20 seconds is still *very* slow.

Greg