Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 00:09:45 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

>> If it all was so simple as, "Adding oxygenate is like adding more air"
>> then all we'd have to do is turbocharge our engines. Or run the mixture
>> leaner. But the lean mixture results in more oxides of nitrogen...
>
>I'm almost suprised that no one has touched on the point that adding more
>oxygen to gasoline is only going to make for a more dangerous product. "If
>only we hadn't added O2 to this gas, little Ashley/Billy would still be
>alive today..."

Mainly because the point is somewhat incorrect.  The term "oxygenation" is,
more or less, a misnomer.  It makes people think that O2 is being added.
Instead, the MTBE is the "oxygenate".  It's formula being CH3-O-C(CH3)3.
The oxygen is PART of a greater molecule.  NOT on it's own.  If they
managed to add straight, pure, O2, then all they would be doing is helping
to come to "more complete combustion". That's not what they're (supposed to
be) donig though.  So no, I doubt there's an explosion risk.  People
probably put themselves at greater risk by adding in Gas-line antifreeze
(aka: DryGas) to their gas tanks, which is almost pure alcohol.

>I bet in uncontrolled reactions it's more powerful.
No idea, but it would be interesting to know.  The MSDS states that it's
non-explosive, yet flammable.  That's no big deal though - gasoline is
flammable on it's own :)

--John