Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:42:23 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "George M. Ellenburg" <gme@caffeine.sundial.net>
Subject:   Re: Dedicated PPP

George M. Ellenburg <gme@caffeine.sundial.net> wrote:

>Question: What is the correct procedure for having userland PPP, called
>from rc.local, establish and maintain a persistent connection?
> ppp -dedicated -alias <profile>  or...
> ppp -ddial -alias <profile>

I start ppp not from rc.local, but from /etc/start_if.tun0:

    ppp -auto -alias demand

This file gets executed after the tun0 device is brought up during boot.

-dedicated for direct wiring, and doesn't execute any chat scripts, so login
negiotiation isn't performed. Sound like -ddial is what you need, to
automatically redial any time the connection gets broken.

>The PPP process is dropping, sometimes after 13 hours, sometimes after as
>little as 20 minutes.  Even with a single ping running from cron every 5
>minutes the connection is dropping, and sometimes not redialing.  Does
>anyone have any ideas?

You might try increasing the timeout value in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:

    <profile>:
     set timeout <bignumber of seconds>

The default is only 300 seconds (5 min).

Hope this helps,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!